Tombstone Tours: Kelowna’s Forgotten Chinatown
August 5, 2021 @ 9:30 am – 11:00 am
Discover the stories of the stones in this unique tour of Kelowna’s largest historical site, the Pioneer Cemetery. Led by historian Bob Hayes, you will encounter forgotten neighbourhoods, teacher’s corner, mighty pioneer women, and the occasional wildlife spotting in this beautiful setting. Each week is different, so keep coming back!
Kelowna’s Forgotten Chinatown
What will you uncover?
– A brief history of the townsite development (1892) and the founding of the original cemetery
– The Hardy Family Cemetery and its origins
– The Tanemuras: Witnesses of a terrible aviation disaster
– Chinese and Japanese Cemeteries: their histories and challenges
– Kelowna’s China Town: Where it was, what it was like, and the most famous person to visit the city
– The Americans are coming! The “invasion” of American immigrants in 1893
– James Wittup: Witness to Canadian History
– Unmarked burials (including Norman Davies, Delipa Singh, Russell Spears, and Max Major)
– The McKinley family