Indigenous Education Programs
Learn about syilx knowledge and living culture
The syilx people have lived in the Okanagan Valley for thousands of years. Step into the world of the syilx people, and gain insights into their close connection to the land.
Learn at the Okanagan Heritage Museum
We invite you to visit our Indigenous gallery at the Okanagan Heritage Museum. This gallery is the result of a multi-year collaboration informed by the vision and expertise of syilx Elders and knowledge keepers.
Guests of all ages are welcome to enter the qʷćiʔ (a traditional Okanagan winter home), designed and built under the guidance of Elder Eric Mitchell.
Learn at a class, workshop or event
Kelowna Museums works with Indigenous partners to provide rich learning experiences that are culturally respectful and engaging. Throughout the year, we provide programs such as:
- na̓ʔk̓ʷulamən (with Wild Rose Native Traditions)
- nsyilxcən for Everyone (with Wild Rose Native Traditions)
- Indigenous-themed museum tours (group tours)
- National Day for Truth and Reconciliation
- National Indigenous Peoples Day
- Storytelling and Sn̓k̓lip (school groups)
- tmixʷ | syilx Land and Culture (school groups)
- Ntytyix and T.E.K (school groups)
- The Un-Learning Project (school groups)