- This event has passed.
Tombstone Tours: Kelowna Street Names
August 10, 2021 @ 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm
Discover the stories of the stones in this unique tour of Kelowna’s largest historical site, the Pioneer Cemetery. Led by historian Bob Hayes, you will encounter forgotten neighbourhoods, teacher’s corner, mighty pioneer women, and the occasional wildlife spotting in this beautiful setting. Each week is different, so keep coming back!
Kelowna Street Names
What will you uncover?
– Brief history of the town site development (1892) and founding of the original cemetery
– Remittance Men: who were they and where did they live? Beauchamp B. Starkey
– Bernard Lequime (the founder of Kelowna), R.F. “Dick” Parkinson, David Leckie and family
– Sarah (Jameson) Craig: visionary or dreamer?
– Woodmen of the World? This insignia on markers, including Thomas Alexander Murray
– They sent eight sons to fight in World War I: the Cornock family
– A truly unique grave marker: Pauline Reske, 1924
– Who was “Our Kate”? How her identity and life story were uncovered
– “Dad Prowse”? How his identity and life story were uncovered
– He had a storied past: Franz Reimer, pioneer Lake Country merchant
– Kelowna’s “Go-to Guys”: the Kitagawa brothers
– Don’t always believe what you read: the Whelan family grave marker
For more information, contact Jen Garner, Head of Programming, at email@example.com or 250-868-4836.